Common letters and postcards
If you want to send something without value, such as a Christmas card or a letter, no customs documents are needed. Find the price for the letter below and buy postage at Posten.
Gifts, goods and documents of value
All letters with some value sent abroad must have documentation of the contents - this is called customs declaration. Use the calculator below.
- Pack well what you need to send.
- Use the calculator below and fill out the address card with customs documentation and pay for the shipping.
- Print the documents and remember to sign them. Cut out the address card.
- Attach the address card well to the letter. You can attach it around the shipment, but the address and barcode must be clearly visible.
Find price and fill out customs documents
NOTE: If the length or width of the letter exceeds 35.3 x 25 cm, it is priced as over 7 cm thick.
Minimum size: 9 x 14 cm
Maximum size: Length: 60 cm. Length + width + thickness: 90 cm
Maximum weight: 2 kg
Secure delivery - registered letter
Registered letter is the solution that gives you proof of filing and delivery. This is handy if you are sending something valuable.
Prohibited content and restrictions
You are solely responsible for what you send is not prohibited to send to that country.
Customs regulations and clearance costs
All shipments sent out of Norway must be customs cleared. The customs authority, both in Norway and in the recipient countries, requires that various customs documentation are attached to your shipment. If information is missing or if the documents are incomplete, the shipment may be delayed. As the sender, you are responsible for adding the correct information about your shipment.
Essentially, all consignments containing more than one regular letter must be processed in customs. Parcels must undergo customs clearance when (reason):
- The value of the contents is in excess of NOK 5000
- In the case of temporary export, e.g. when an item has to be sent abroad for repair and will be returned after the repair has been carried out
- When returning items, e.g. when returning an item to an overseas address following a complaint
Customs clearance is included in the prices (postage) you pay for sending letters abroad.